© 2024 ALLCITY Network Inc.
All rights reserved.
Chicago Bears Training Camp Practice No. 11 notes: Justin Fields and the offense execute down the stretch
LAKE FOREST — The Bears’ first-team offense lined up on the 50-yard line with less than a minute on the clock against the first-team defense in 11 on 11s.
Fields took the snap and Dominique Robinson used the “jump cross chop” move against Braxton Jones and got around the corner. Still, Fields remained in the pocket and found a wide open Cole Kmet in the middle of the field.
Also, in the middle of the field was a yellow flag, because Kmet pushed off on Adrian Colbert. The Bears got some of the yardage back on a completion to DJ Moore on a curl route to the right side. But on second-and-8, Fields was sacked, putting the offense in about a third-and-16.
In situations like this last season, usually, the Bears’ offense would be forced to punt. This time, though, Fields found rookie wide receiver Tyler Scott open in the middle of the field to secure the first down. The offense immediately rushed to the line and Fields spiked the ball and he walked off in confidence, knowing he set up Cairo Santos for a makeable field goal.
From 50 yards out, Santos put the ball through the uprights. Even though the drive was far from perfect, the offense still found a way to capitalize when they needed to most.
“Yeah, yeah. That’s what it’s all about,” Kmet said on the field goal drive. “That’s the difference in the NFL. You have to be able to execute in those moments, know what you’re doing. Everyone on the sidelines has to be in tune, the field goal unit, all those things. Like I said, good situations to rep.”
Here are some of the other notable plays that stood out from Tuesday’s 11th training camp practice at Halas Hall.
1 on 1s
- Justin Fields started the 1 on 1s with a completion to DJ Moore, who was covered by Tyrique Stevenson on rep.
- Robert Tonyan ran a fade route against Elijah Hicks. The ball was where it needed to be, but credit to Hicks for knocking out the football from Tonyan’s hands.
- Chase Claypool won his rep against Greg Stroman Jr.
- Darnell Mooney went up against Jaylon Johnson twice in 1 on 1s, and both times Johnson won the reps.
- Tyler Scott had a nice release off the line of scrimmage and froze Johnson, but Scott dropped the ball that was slightly behind him.
- Equanimeous St. Brown caught a fade ball over Kindle Vildor on the right side of the field.
- Velus Jones Jr. ran a comeback route to the front left corner of the end zone and P.J. Walker fired a pass for a touchdown to Jones. Jaylon Jones was in coverage on the play.
11 on 11s
- D’Onta Foreman had a nice running lane up the middle and showed good burst to get to the second level.
- Fields connected with Moore on the left side of the field on a comeback route.
- Walker rolled out to his left and found Scott near the left sideline. Good catch and throw on the play. Also, Gervon Dexter was on the line on this play. He was the last of the defensive linemen off the snap.
- On the next play, Dexter showed off his strength and pushed back Deiter Eiselen to dent the pocket.
- Stevenson intercepted Fields on an underthrown ball intended for Mooney down the left sideline. There was immediate pressure up the middle and Fields would’ve been sacked on the play.
- There was a ton or pressure from the defensive line in today’s practice. There were moments when Justin Jones, Dominique Robinson, Terrell Lewis and Andrew Billings all created pressure on the quarterbacks.
- The Bears practiced moving the ball out of their own end zone. The offense started inside their own 5-yard line. Fields hit Khari Blasingame in the flat to the right. The next play was a run to Forman up the middle. Then Fields tried hitting Claypool down the left sideline, but he was called for offensive pass interference against Johnson.
- The first-team offense got another opportunity from deep in their own end zone. Fields hit Mooney on a short completion to the left. Then Fields had an incomplete pass to the right side. Mooney dropped a pass on a quick hitter in the flat on the left side. Then Fields hit Khalil Herbert on a short pass over the middle. It appeared he had Brown open down the right sideline.
7 on 7s
- Fields attempted to hit Tonyan, but the pass fell incomplete. Stroman was in coverage on the play.
- Fields hit Khalil Herbert on a slant route against Noah Sewell.
- Mooney caught a pass from Fields on the left side of the formation.
- Fields got Chase Claypool involved with a short pass to the right.
- Moore found an opening down the left sideline and caught a deep pass from Fields.
- Fields and Moore connected again in a vacant spot in the defense on the right side of the formation.
- Fields also had completions to Equanimeous St. Brown and Velus Jones Jr. during the period.
- The Bears still had a lot of players missing in Tuesday’s practice. Jaquan Brisker, Eddie Jackson, Kyler Gordon, Tremaine Edmunds and DeMarcus Walker all did not practice.
- Nate Davis did return to the practice field, but he didn’t participate during team drills. Ja’Tyre Carter got most the reps at right guard.
- Also, there were portions when Doug Kramer took snaps with the starting offense.
- Yannick Ngakoue was in a Bears uniform for the first time. He participated in individual drills, but didn’t get in during team.
Get Chicago's Best Sports Content In Your Inbox!
Become a smarter Chicago sports fan with the latest game recaps, analysis and exclusive content from CHGO’s writers and podcasters!
Just drop your email below!